The knock sensor wiring was broken through and the connector boot filled with glue to hold it together.
More wires that were nearly broken through. These harnesses get cooked... I think it will benefit from more heat shielding.
I got underneath it to run the new power cable to the starter and install the slave cylinder, but the pushrod on the slave was frozen. Two years of hanging under the car must have allowed whatever moisture that was in the system to settle and rust it solid. Unfortunately this wasn't the only new casualty. The modified turbo has a larger cold side which causes the water pipe into the turbo to sit at a different angle than original. When I put the intake manifold in place the weight of it broke the temperature sender in the water pipe... an $82 mistake. More new parts incoming!
Left to do: Cooling system, vacuum lines and intake plumbing, the remainder of the engine wiring harness, alternator, power steering plumbing, oil cooler plumbing, distributor cap, rotor and wires and then I think it might be ready to start. But before it drives I have to finish rebuilding the calipers. Plenty to do but it shouldn't take much longer.
A momentary lapse in judgement (or maybe a flash of brilliance) left me with this beauty. It's a 2002 M5 in LeMans blue over complete (rather than extended) Caramel interior. Apparently a rare combo, it's supposed one of thirteen in the US. Still filthy from the high speed and high altitude drive home.
I was missing my 540i 6 speed and thought this would be a worthy replacement. It's stock other than having the rear mufflers removed. Loving it so far.
Thanks! It's been fun so far. Not sure if it's retro enough for it's own thread but it's getting up there.
The 951 has been getting some attention. It started with a few little drips of brake fluid on my head while I was under the car vacuum bleeding the clutch. The booster was looking gross and I was hoping that the master cylinder wasn't shot. Luckily it turned out to be bad brake master cylinder reservoir grommets letting fluid leak all over the place.
At first I thought I'd leave the booster in place to paint it but the thought of black overspray getting on everything led me to disassemble half of the car and remove the booster. Definitely the right decision. An added benefit was discovering that Porsche buried the clutch master in a space that becomes completely inaccessible once the booster is back in place. I'm replacing that proactively while things are apart.
No evidence of brake fluid inboard of the o-ring that seals the back of the cylinder to the face of the booster. Nice and dry inside as well so it should be fine.
A quick bench test gives me hope that the master is OK. I'll clean it up and reinstall with a fresh o-ring. Hopefully it's fine because the price for a replacement is about in line with everything else for this car.
The steering wheel and drivers seat have to come out to make room for you to stand on your head in here. Even then the bolts for the booster aren't much fun to get to.
Cleaner but still looking bad. It'll go back together for a season of driving before I start replacing things in here.
Just enough space to extract the clutch master. The blue braided hose has become next to impossible to find. Luckily I bought a few meters years ago but at the moment it's hiding from me safe and sound in a box somewhere...
I don't have a new ATE sticker to finish it off but it's looking better now.
New reservoir and old reservoir. The nipple broke off with very little effort so for all I know it might have been leaking there too.
Lots of messes made and replacement parts ordered. One step forward and two steps back!