Firstly I've fallen on "Garage Life" after a push email from Retro Rides and thought I'd have a nose around. Some new build garages going on but most posts are people looking for space to tinker. I don't want to come across as a dick as I'm lucky enough to have the space, but as the push email welcomed garage builds or fit outs, I thought id share my space for those interested.
I moved house back in 2014, I'd had a single garage previously and after a crappy relationship breakdown, I rented for a while before getting my own place. Top of the list............double garage.
The house i bought although built in the early 80's was essentially lived in by some pretty dirty tramps (that's being polite). I got a good deal on the house as it was in a bad way, but i saw the potential and due to it being filthy and falling apart, ripping into it wasn't an issue. The week i got the house, with help from my bro we ripped a lot of stuff out. The garage had a room built within it, and was just grim. I'll let the pictures do the talking.
So the partitions came down and the whole place was cleared out. The garage had a rear external door and window, as well as an internal door to the house. With future planning for extending the house, the window wasn't required, this was blocked up and another external doorway created. The internal door was also blocked up as the existing external would eventually be internal once the extension was built a few years later.
Image below shows the original set up.
Rear window knocked out and new doorway formed.
My first go at brickwork, it didn't really matter too much as in the future this would be internal and plastered.
The garage had some plaster work from the room that had previously been built, but the ceiling plasterboards were shot and the brickwork had various dodgy graffiti.
In working on the rest of the house, the loft has some great weathered timber, the loft was cleared and insulated and the timber was used to create a few "rustic" walls in the garage so it was less clinical.
The ceiling was ripped down and replaced and the walls dot, Dabbed and plastered. I also fitted a decent size loft access hatch for storage.
As can be seen on the photo above, the plasterwork was wash coat and painted. It was all done in white, in hindsight this was a bad idea for a garage and down the line would get changed.
Next was to attack the floor which was breaking up in places and very dusty: Decent Latex:
In hindsight, trying to level this area by myself was awkward. By the time i'd mixed up, then laid, the last set was going off. There are slight steps where the mixes went down. This is me being picky!
After putting down a few coats of clear and fitting the skirting, i could finally bring my car down and that's where it ended for a few years. We didn't have a kitchen or bathroom at one point and as long as the car was back home I was happy. The next few years we did a lot of work on the house (it bloody needed it). In the process the garage was used for storage and working. It got a little trashed, as would be expected. As part of the extension, the builders bought everything through the garage as walking around the house would have cost more time and money.
At its best!
Then came a new addition........boosted as well (1.8T 20v)
In reality, this is how it looked most of the time:
I hated having a washer and dryer at the back of the garage, but without the extension on the back it was a requirement. They finally went 4 weeks ago and i could finally get back in the garage to carry on. In the years it didnt move forward, a few extras were added. My bro ripped out his kitchen, so i got all the wall cupboards for storage.
Jan 2019 and I'm currently working on the garage again. The walls have all been redecorated as white was a bad choice. The walls have gone a mid grey and the skirtings, frames and all the cupboards have been done anthracite grey. I've built a storage unit at the back of the garage for my tools and general garage items. I'll upload some photos of current progress but its not yet complete.
The flooring although great when first done just wasn't practical. Any slight damp against the clear coat sent the flooring a greeny yellow colour. Also with jacks and engine cranes, it scratched as would be expected. I've currently laid a hard wearing vinyl lock tile to the front half of the garage which was being thrown off a job I ran. The rear half is about to have some left over carpet tiles laid. Hopefully this will look better than i'm describing. Both cars are currently out and being stored but I hope to have it all complete by the end of February.
A few weeks down the line I've finally managed to (nearly) finish. I still have some cupboards to build over the distribution boards and meters etc, but both cars are now back home and filling the space nicely. Here is a few photos of the space.
Sorry about the double post..................photos were playing up