1978 VW Baywindow Devon Camper, 2000cc auto, £15000 Surrey Oct 3, 2019 18:53:19 GMT via mobile
Post by sweendog on Oct 3, 2019 18:53:19 GMT
41k genuine miles from new
Tax and MOT exempt thanks to a VW birth certifcate - included with documentation - showing 1978 manufacture date. Classic insurance is pennies.
Just completed a 3000 mile round trip to Spain with no issues (that's where most of the pictures of her in action are from!).
Enthusiast owned with original features with tasteful upgrades to make camping a breeze. Huge folder of history and pictures.
- Matching numbers Type 4 2l engine runs superbly. All service items regularly changed. Runs sweet, starts first time.
- Factory 3 speed auto makes it a pleasure to drive. Gearbox fluid changed 3000 miles ago. Works perfectly including kickdown and manual selection.
- Full camping interior including original Electrolux 3 way fridge, 2 ring burner and grill, 3/4 rock n roll bed, two original bunk beds (bit small if you're 6ft tall but good for kids), walkthrough, storage, lighting etc (see pics).
- Never been welded. Underside is better than any bus I've seen. Belly pans intact (painted with stonechip) and I will remove for your inspection. Original bus in fantastic condition underneath. Stored indoors in shared unit with two other VW enthusiasts - gets the best level of care.
- Lowered two inches at the front on Limebug spindles.
- Bodywork is good generally but there's a few niggles on my list if she doesn't sell before next summer and I end up keeping her! Window seals intact but a bit dated looking. Few bits of rust starting to show through original paint (look very very closely at the pictures!). Paint is 95% original but previous owner did some touch ups. Rain gutters were rusting when I got her. Sanded down and treated then blown over with original white colour, not a fantastic job but ok from 5 yards. A few bits missing from the edge of and couple of holes in the rain gutter. This is the worst part of the bus cosmetically. All white for now, will be fine for a few years but a perfectionist would get new gutters stuck on. Bumpers and wheels recently painted. The door bottoms at the front have seen better days too with rust taking it's toll. Can't be seen from outside and has never bothered me.
- I've added a Bluetooth Clarion Stereo (2 front/2 rear speakers), a 12v socket in the rear (fan for when it's hot!), USB sockets, 12->240v inverter (3 pin plugs and USBs running off leisure battery). Mains all professionally installed - all mod cons electrically. Ready for solar panel but you'll likely never use it.
- High power leisure battery, split charge system, trickle charger and 240v hookup all new.
- Alternator, voltage regulator, fanbelt, brake servo, master cylinder, plugs, filters, oil, batteries, fuel lines and more all changed in advance of our big trip (July 2019) then serviced again when we returned (August 2019).
- Tasteful add-ons include additional USB sockets and hidden LED lighting with all cabin power controlled by period power management unit (and new circuit breaker for 240v).
- Pop top, fittings, cupboards etc showing their age a little but completely original. Original seats, seat coverings, linoleum etc all there but covered in retro fabric/astrograss respectively to protect originality (see pictures). Custom curtains etc all new (all ready for our big trip).
- Alarm and immobiliser. Everything works - cigar lighter, heater, spotlights, automatic choke, tap etc.
Boxes of spares and accessories included in sale including (but not limited to)...
High quality proper T2 cover
Awning (see pictures) and separate sunshade
Camping chairs, roofrack, two gas bottles, groundsheets, window shade, steering lock
Service items (oil, filters, plugs, spare coil etc) and spares (interior fittings, hubcaps etc).
I'm an enthusiast and she is stored in my workshop in Ottershaw, Surrey. I can make time at weekends or in evenings for serious enquiries and let the bus speak for herself. It's a reliable, honest vehicle that's ready to go (well cleaned after living in it for 3 weeks)! Would need work to win trophies but she's solid in all the right places and always pampered.
Huge paperwork file, photographs and history. I saw a lot of buses before buying "Eddie" for my big trip, she has been lovingly cared for over my 18 month ownership to be practical, comfortable and reliable.
I will include in the sale a full 12 month MOT (at asking price).
Just remembered that the passenger side wingmirror broke recently but have a replacement and will fit it before sale. If you're in the market for something similar, arrange to come down to my unit for a cuppa and have a poke around her. You won't be disappointed. Anyone that wants to negotiate before viewing will not be taken seriously.
All questions and clarifications welcome. Sadly I need the money but will only let her go to a good home for a fair price. I can text/email pictures of anything specific you can't see. Structurally solid and charmingly original - come and have a look!