Excellent work on the new breed 8-). Loving the Scoobaru, I nearly bought one like that from a shonky used car garage when I was 19, propper machine, would love to see it pimped by Hi rise and off road tyres, and/or extra performance. Failing that general fix up, his and hers wax jackets, green Wellies dog in boot. done
Post by DutyFreeSaviour on Jan 15, 2008 13:56:12 GMT
Top metal replacement xbo11ox - good to see another Alfa gonna be sorted out properly in your fair (????) hands. Once I get the MiG picked up from Spock I'll be practicing like mad to start doing this.
Will be good to see this hitting the road again soon - top purchasing.
Subaru would be a perfect sleeper if you're that way inclined...... options ;D
HC got it - The moment this place becomes about naming cars by sticking chrome letters on the back I'm off. I'd also love* to see an example of a 'just cool' car that's been made 'sub zero' by the addition of a f'ing stuffed robin
I finished fillering and sanding the fuel filler hole, and primed and topcoated it. Its not perfect but is canny enoguh, I havent got any pics of it topcoated but need to buff the paint up anyway, i'll leave it a week or so before trying anything like that. Overall I am chuffed with the result - not bad for flat sheet repair patches and rattle can paint work. Took long enough like. I hate doing 'cosmetic' bodywork, it just takes SUCH A FREAKIN LONG TIME
Also got a new SH headlight off some random geezer, found this via forum member 'patrickscars', cost £35 inc delivery which made me wince slightly but I still paid up as I had no better idea!
I also took the front bumper off and starightened up the brackets - the old boy was clearly not averse to minor parking dings (all the doors have at least one dent in ::))
Next i attacked the rusty drivers side sill:
I have done a bit more since these pics were taken, but still Not quite finished, another evenings work should finish that off.
I have now broken the back off all the 'big' tasks, bit of reassembly, some waxoyl, maybe some new gearlever bushes and a timing belt (not done a belt on one of these flat fours before) and we should be good to go!
Its my dad's! Should have done a thread on it actually, we've done a canny bit on it - uncrashed it, rebuilt the steering rack, couple of bits of welding, head gasket done, and other minor stuff. I've never photographed any of our efforts on it though. Its going great now, the aerosol paintwork on the new wing and door lets the side down a bit but its still a healthy old tank.
I've been a bit lax with garage updates lately, partially because of slow progress and partially because of lack of time for doing the posts! Anyway here is some photo-progress for you.
So last update i was welding away getting this 33's rusty bits fettled. Well I completed the welding, spent ages fannying about with rattle cans painting stuff, put some new cambelts on, fixed the rear brakes, lashed on loads of waxoyl, gave it a wash and boshed it in for a test, which to my amazement it passed first time. Next I sold my Mazda 323 to retrogeezer off here, and swapped its insurance onto the 33. Finally I taxed it online, somehow managing to get a 5-month tax disc (FUGGIN DVLA CRIMS) and the 33 was on the road!!!
I've driven it about for a few days and my first impression of it was that it was bloody awful - horrible rubbery gearchange, ridiculous driving position and pedal spacing, silly 'alfa romeo check panel' thing flicking multicoloured LED warnings out like some kind of mini Jean-Michel Jarre concert, plus assorted whirrs, clonks and squeaks from the mechanical bits. However the more I drive it the more I like it, it seems to be improving with use (a trait i have noticed before with old Alfas) and it is pretty quick after the Maz! i blezzed it up to an indicated 110 on a quiet privately owned bypass the other night and it was still accelerating when i bottled it. So, all good.
This meant the garage was empty so it was time to get the subaru wagon in there, last weekend I A-framed it down from Crewe and got stuck in:
Number 1 problem to solve was the slippy clutch. I had previously scored a new clutch off eBay for £20. So i pulled the engine out:
And boshed on some new shiny bits.
Next up, rattly tappets. These things have hydraulic tappets and one of them had an intermittent tap, presumably from being bunged up with old oily gloop. Luckily eBay had also provided a spare engine for £16:
I took the cam carriers off and nicked the tappets out of it. I left these to soak in cellulose thinners for a few days which seemed to clean them up externally quite well, then i rinsed them through with an aerosol of cleaning solvent.
Next i started to strip my engine so i could fit em. Reasonably complicated cambelt set-up on these being a flat four:
I marked it all up and took off the belts (got new ones to go on, £4 each off.... eBay) and took the cam covers etc off. I have fitted the new tappets but had no gasket sealant for reassembling it so at the moment thats where i'm up to, hopefully I will get the engine back together tonight.
Also i have ordered a new pair of front wings but am mildly dubious that they will actually turn up, due to Hadrian Panels never updating their website.