I've had a few emails from people worried that nothing was happening with any of my projects, so thought I would post this to prove I have not been sitting on my backside for the last few months
What started out as welding a few bits on a friends E12 M535i has turned into an almost full restoration and paintjob
Not expecting the work to take long I did not take any pictures of the car when it arrived, but this is a midway shot of the car going to the painters, for anyone not sure what an old 5 series BMW looks like
So back at the beginning, the arches were looking a bit suspect
You cant really stretch a mig weld, they are too hard, so its just weld a small bit at a time, to minimise any heat build up and therefore distortion
I'll need to work on my patience then your welds turn up very flat!
I've been experimenting with copper backing as heat sink but then I have to set my MIG to a much higher amp to get proper penetration. But I guess the copper actually reduces cool-down shrinkage?
In any case I've got a way to go untill I can produce welds like yours
You are dead right re the copper acting as a heat sink, I would only use that where you were trying to fill a hole or a large gap, otherwise as you say you will have to turn your welder up and then you end up with more distortion, what you can do though is clamp the copper adjacent to the weld, that way it will work as a heat sink to minimise distortion, without actually affecting the weld
While the car was away at the painters I started to look at the rear lights, they were not in bad shape but all the mounting studs were broken off, as it happens these lights can be split down into their component parts, assuming that you can actually get them apart, fortunately these did
Part of this backing was broken, but I sourced a better rear section
I used some stainless steel machine screws to make the new mounting studs, just filed a flat on them to match the originals
Then used a chrome spray to bring the reflectors back to life
Washed and polished the lenses and the chrome trims
and then reassembled
the other one received the same treatment, cant wait to get those fitted
lovely, was it normal car polish you used on the lenses or something special?
I used a fine polishing compound, actually Farecla G10, but something like T cut would work just as well, to remove the light scratches and then normal car polish after that. But even giving them a wash inside made a huge difference, once the insides are clean the outside looks so much better
Hi Tony , I have to say that you're the master of the understatement - lol!
"Just cut and let this section in" " stripped it down, polished it and then just re fitted it...." " I thought this wing might just need a bit more work"..There's some lovely workmanship on this site but - and I know I've said this before - Tony you're work is seriously impressive! I've got my eye on one of the last of the old XJ40's (actually a V12) - I think it'll be winging it's way up the A1 past Morpeth if I could ever persuade you with some crispy notes!
Very impressive - I like! Thank you, as ever, for your posts. Absolutely stunning work!