So got the tyres fitted to the newly refurbed wheels
and while the car was jacked up decided to start on the exhaust
Turns out the exhaust I had does not fit as well as I thought, its an E28 system, so its going to need some cutting and shutting and some new brackets welded on, I started that today, so should have pics soon
Got the exhaust finished yesterday, and painted and fitted today.
I know it just looks like an exhaust, but it was a hell of a lot of work to get it to this stage, new hangers and modified tailpipes were just some of the jobs
All new rubbers too
and got it back down on its wheels
I had really wanted to get it running to check the exhaust for leaks and stuff, but it just would not start, even after taking the plugs out and cleaning them, it was firing though, so hopefully its just not happy that its been stood for a few weeks, battery went flat before it would run, so fingers crossed it will run tomorrow
Spent an absolute age in the garage tonight and finally got her running, almost flattened another battery in the process.
Top and bottom of it was that there is a pre lift fuel pump mounted in the tank, and that was disconnected because of the work going on in the boot, and as the fuel level in the tank has dropped, it was causing fuel starvation to the main pump and therefore poor fuel pressure.
I knew there was at least 2 gallons of fuel in the tank, as I had put it in before it went to the painters, but disconnecting the pre lift pump, meant that that was not enough to keep a steady supply of fuel to the main pump
So really what I am saying in a very long and convoluted way is that it ran out of fuel :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
and in the process I got a little bit older and a little bit wiser
Good news is the exhaust note sounds sweet and so far no leaks
Got some jobs done on the car this week, a couple of major ones from my to do list
First up was getting a replacement front screen fitted, the painter had cracked the old one getting it out, and it was some task trying to get a half decent replacement, frightened of breaking it, I thought I had better entrust this job to a professional, so the windscreen fitter came yesterday
We fitted all new chrome trims as well, but am struggling to get the bottom corners to sit right, will have to come back to that later
Meanwhile the painter had also managed to jamb the sunroof mechanism putting it back in, and had snapped the winding handle, after much head scratching and even more " in out, in out" I realised that he had fitted the Left hand bracket on the right and the right hand bracket on the left, this meant that the cams which tell the sunroof to be up or down, were upside down, no wonder it was stuck
So swapped all that round, replaced a few broken guides and parts and now it works a treat, " Tilt and slide "