Thanks Sam, glad you like my build.
I'm not sure if it's called dedication or just blind stubbornness....
I just won't let it beat me ;D
Quite a while ago I promised you all a rather big update, well here it is.
Better late than never.
I hope to have this beast finally steering as it should by the end of this week/early next, so it's about time I got this thread up to date..
There is a hell of a lot to come, so it might take me a few days..
Were see how I get on.
At the end of my last update I left you with a busted ARC welder.
The good news is a new one arrived and I was able to lay some decent welds again.
The steel mounting plate I was going to use to hold up the front of the trans has been swapped for something a lot more sturdy.
The new bit of chassis at the front got some sideways strengthening bits of box welded in.
And some diagonals down from the top.
That looks a lot stronger
While the welds were cooling I had a look at the "hood stand" otherwise known as the bit behind the dash that used to hold up a fuel tank.
All the gubbins that used to have the sliding steering levers is no longer needed and has to go.
That looks better, the big hole left will be back filled at some point.
Some rope was used to find the correct new position of the engine..
About there looks about right, it was in fact the only place the engine could fit in with only an inch of so of adjustment forward and back.
Ah... Looks like the parking brake pedal might need a few mods to clear the engine!!
The hood stand needs a little trim as well.
It was about this point that I decided to throw some wheels and other bits roughly in place. The too short bonnet got lengthened the quick way..
Masking tape, some magazine pages and a quick spray of red oxide..
With coffee made, note the "engineers coffee table"..
I stood back and grinned like a madman at the beast of a machine I had created.... Well, I quite like the look ;D
Once I had finished a coffee or two, and had had enough of "lock jaw" from grinning like a Cheshire cat for too long, I thought it was about time to get the inside of this rear axle mounted.
I've managed to break the odd little bit off cutting discs before, but this was the first time I've had one self destruct on me
As luck would have it most of the shrapnel ended up inside the off cut of box I was cutting to make the axle mount out of.
Cut and tacked together.
The tacks holding it to the chassis were cut so I could fully weld it up on the bench. Seen here under the express cooling fan.
And tacked back to the chassis. It was fully welded the next day.
Speaking of welding, here's the box my new ARC welder came in..
"Can be used around the house, Workshop or garage"..!!!!!
Around the house!! Think my Wife would kill me if I dragged the chassis in the house and started welding it while she was watching tv ;D