The effort and dedication is impressive!
I do believe that you will make it work properly and safe. The state the engine loom was in terrified me. All that cracked insulation and green copper was a disaster waiting to happen.
It will take some time but the end result will be way better than it was. Keep up the good work, we are cheering you on!
Thanks gess. Very kind of you to say...
It's easy for me to forget as I'm very critical of myself, but when you put it like that it's hard to ignore.
I guess I do have quite a bit of willpower and dedication. I don't give up easily, although as regular readers know, this usually is preceded by a serious dip. Only to put my shoulders into it a bit later.
And yes, I like to do things thouroughly. In this case I could have made it easy on myself and just replaced the damaged wires and tried again. But there were just too many doubts about the cause. And then I took the chance to improve on what it was there before. So the job got bigger and bigger.
In the end it's not all just the hobby and liking working on the car though, this in part is also given in by the fact that if I don't get it fixed, I have a 25k paperweight sitting around...
And on a bad day I can't help but think that right after I have fixed the wiring and get the car running again, the engine will finally self destruct...
But for now I'll slowly be moving ahead.
And yes, those 90's looms of the early environmentally friendly type turned out to be horrible where subjected to moisture and heat. Many a Scorpio has been scrapped for just that reason. That is also why I'm now replacing all wiring even though much of it looks ok. It just feels hard and inflexible and I just don't know how it would take all the twisting and turning it takes to get the loom to go where it needs to go. So better safe then sorry.