I've been progressing the engine, cleaning and checking. I now have all the parts I need except the rings, which are on the way. The hydraulic cam followers have been stripped and had repeated trips through my ultrasonic bath which is heated, so a hot solvent clean. They have been a pain but are now cleaned and re-assembled. The block has been cleaned, threads chased and given a couple of coats of brushed epoxy followed by badly applied enamel. I should have used 2k but this was so much easier than sheeting everything down for a block that can hardly be seen when it's in the car ( I know, idle git). The picture is before I razored off the excess on flanges etc.
Progress has been a bit slow of late due to other stuff (that is Mrs Crockpot has found her "to do" list) plus it looks like there will be a wait for rings as they are a bit on the rare side. I have been abusing my heated ultrasonic bath again after I found that a piston/rod would fit in. Results are as shown. Excuse the scruffy background!
The crank has been cleaned thoroughly and fitted in the block. Torqued and all spins very nicely. It's not quite as packed in as it looks but I am getting pushed for space!
The injectors are away for cleaning/checking at a local race specialists I found by accident. Head is being cleaned at the moment after the intakes were given a quick clean up with my die grinder. Nothing drastic just a bowl blend and flash removal. The valves and seats are in really good condition, just encrusted with crud (no surprises there!).
Slowly plodding away at it but the heat in my workshop is beating me by midday. Valves all lapped in nicely with just a quick twizzle, springs and bits all refitted. Head on and tightened down. Cams in and the oil spray bars cleaned until spotless (hurray for the heated ultrasonic!) Timing tomorrow.
Aaaaand still plodding on. Engine is pretty much complete mechanically. The manifold is now "sorted" and just needs some tickling up. It now looks like this.
The back was opened up, weld added to the outside to allow the internal shape to be modified to match the original shape of the front. A flange was made and added to allow an adaptor to be fitted which will take the throttle body. The T/B will be turned through 90 degrees. You may ask why? The 2.0 dohc is actually quite wide at the front on the manifold side and it was either mod it or cut a piece of the bonnet away. A pull type clutch slave has arrived so once I get the new clutch I can convert to hydraulic.
I've been doing major work in the garden, finally got back on it yesterday. I'm also making a bike carrier for my Jumbuck so my time is still limited. I found some cast aluminium bends online so ordered one with a 55mm bore (slightly larger than the T/B diameter). I cut the T/B flange off the remnants of the intake, machined it flat and put a counterbore in to locate the bend. At the other end I made a matching flange to the one I had already fitted to the manifold. Weld it up and here it is. Welding's not the best, the bend welded well but was a bit dirty.
Got a bit more done in between major garden reshaping. I fitted a complete new clutch c/w thrust bearing. The lathe came in handy for making an alignment tool. Gearbox was cleaned up and fitted. I had a Wilwood slave cylinder ready to use so set about mounting it. The cable end was drilled through 5mm which gave me the correct shaped piece for the arm. I made up an adjusting section which had the Wilwood 5/16 unf one end and M5 the other. The engine mount was modified to mount the cylinder. I also found a NOS rubber boot so that went on. Happy with the result.