Love that. Nothing like fitting proper stuff. I remember the sheer pleasure I felt walking into MB Newbury and ordering a pair of new keys off the VIN and a bonnet release cable for my ‘87 G Wagen and the bits arriving a couple of days later.
My finger was hovering over the mouse on eBay and Amazon, when I thought, "I wonder how much the stealer charges?". Answer was "not much more than the pattern parts". Plus I got a great big MB plastic bag, for FREE!
Just done a trip to Bristol from Newbury, car is sick. VERY sick. It's only running on 4 cyls, also strong smell of oil burning, AND the fuel pump is really noisy. Had to nurse it home the last 10 miles. Only just made it, and something is dripping oil onto the exhaust cos its sat there smoking. curse word.
Investigations this morning show a failed coil pack, in spectacular style!
Surely a bit of duct tape over that will do the job?
Duct tape!? Madness, he needs a cable tie
If it can't be fixed with cable ties and duct tape, then you are not using enough cable ties and duct tape!
Oddly enough, I have gone for the wimp out method of ordering parts.. Got 3 coil packs, and a new set of leads on the way in. I also took the chance to whip out the plugs and see what condition they are in, look good considering they are Mercedes Benz branded... I just hope that they are not 24 years old.
I've been advised to change the oil too, as it was run for a good 10 miles or so with 3&4 not firing so wil probably have fuel in the oil. !
Indeed, I am SO pleased, it runs better than it ever did. It used to rock on the mounts hard enough to make me think the engine mounts were shot, at idle. Now it so smooth. The engine picks up noticably better off idle too.
Update time. Fleet has been reduced. The curse word horrible GLA is gone. So now, we don't own a modern car at all... That puts a little additional pressure on the cars we do have.
190, 1992 2.OE. Currently being used to help my 17 yr old daughter get her licence. It's doing a lot of local mileage, and recently passed its MOT. So all good there. Daughter and I swapped out the blower motor and fan assy as it blew the fuse and kept doing so. It's a horrible job with limited access but we got it done and now the blower works really well.
Jeep Cherokee, 1999 4.0 Orvis. Finally got the MOT booked and it failed on the manifold blowing which it has been doing for at least 3 years but the previous MOT tester just ignored it cos getting it fixed meant removing the inlet manifold, and he didn't fancy the job! Also failed on a suspension bush that was dried out to fook and he didn't like the look of it. 3 hours work, and the suspension joint was repaired, and the manifold welded. Turns it has a "performance" manifold on there and the guy anaged to do a repair without removing the whole thing. So, it too has a fresh MOT. It's a nice thing to barge around in.
W124 E320. Been p1ss1ng me off with not using 4th gear.. Hmm. I think that the PO had a go at resolving this, but the issue has returned. Found out that fuse 7 had blown.. This controls a number of things amongst them the auto box electronics. So, a fresh fuse went in after cleaning the fuse terminals. I also made a blink reader to get the codes out of the OBD. £10 for the parts and an hour to lash it up into a little box I bought off RS Components. I read the codes, cleared them, and the box now has all its gears back. 5th is an electronically controlled overdrive apparently, so I think that the car was either skipping 4th and plonking into 5th by default. It used to take an age to respond when you wanted to accelerate uphill or overtake and then it would slam into 3rd and scream off. Let's see how long the fix holds.
The blower motor seems ot have caught the same disease as the 190, and though it is not blowing fuses, it does like to play you screamy music in random octaves as you drive it. After 15 mins that all stops and it is quiet. So, it will need replacing.
I also noticed the key was getting hard to get in the ignition barrel and sometimes refused to turn at all. As a first fix, I have lubed it with some graphite dust/powder and it seems much, much better but I know I'll have to remove and rebuild it soon.