All the modern plates are a bit smaller and don't have the font the right size/style compared to the original.
Modern digits are 80mm tall whereas the originals are 89mm (3.5") tall. Also the modern pressed ones are about .2mm thick whereas my originals were 2.5mm thick!
I've tweaked the letter sizes on mine to get the 4 digits squeezed into a 3 digit wide area (the 1 helped enomously) and also to make the 'Q' a bit more subtle I've also kept to the exact original letter shape/proportions & font which I like.
PS, no recess - its mounted on top of the skin, but I like the size /proportion of the oversize original plate.
Not a lot of things to do on the car, took it out to a couple of local meets this weekend where someone snapped me chatting with a friend (I'm the silver haired one);
I've got some new Aeroquip hose on order as I've noticed one section now smells of fuel so I suspect the dreaded Ethanol issue has damaged it and it's sweating fuel. Annoyingly the new Ethanol proof teflon lined hose uses different fittings which are also only available in silver/black - mine are all red/blue so swapping out the fittings would add £100's extra to the bill so I have kept to the std hoses again.
Aeroquip gaurantee a minimum of 2 years Ethanol proof on their std hose and say it's good for 5 years so I'll use the std stuff for now and just monitor it. The current hoses are over 10 years old so have not done badly.
browsing the internet and somehow this arrived at work
Bilt Hamber TFR cleaner for the daily cars and some Hydrate 80 for......well ...I'm sure it will be useful. What I got a bit excited about was the Dynax UC as it's a transparent wax protector that dries to the touch and can be used over paint. This will be perfect for my aluminium rear shocks that do tend to oxidise quickly after I polish them. Also handy for the suspension bolts/nuts that always seem to rust even though I paint them. It can be removed with a little solvent without damage to paint as well. It comes with a long box section hose sprayer and will spray at any angle & upside down, so handy for under the car.
Quick test on a bit of metal that was on the bench, the shiny section is the wax;
Lastly, I removed the blue dot rear light lenses a while back as the red leds did not work with them, the original glass lenses were in perfect condition but a bit dull to look at. I had bought a glass polishing kit as I have some scratches in my passenger door glass (from manufacture) so I thought I'd test it out on the lenses.
It worked surprisingly well! Not only was it easy to polish it all smooth with the sanding discs, but it also removed all the lettering in the glass with no effort as well. A little more effort to polish the glass back up again afterwards but I'm very happy with the results. No before pictures as I forgot to take any, but the after photo shows a nice glossy finish
Today I swapped out all the Aeroquip hoses on the car for new ones, it will be interesting to see if the garage ceases to smell of petrol on hot days now.
One of the old hoses dismantled,
For anyone who has not assembled Aeroquip hoses here are a few tips on doing it. Always wrap the hose with tape before cutting to stop the stainless braid fraying. Cut the hose with a 1mm cutting disc with an angry grinder.
This will give a very clean cut and when the tape is removed hardly any fraying.
Top tip - even with the correct aluminium spanners it's wise to wrap the fittings as well to prevent marking the anodised finish. Another tip is to smear a little oil on the barb and thread as this makes assembly very easy and prevents galling of the aluminium threads.
One annoying find was my water bottle for the screenwash has rotted right through. I had to take it out to access one of the fuel lines and discovered it then. Cheap bottles I guess, not sure what is in screenwash but it obviously eats aluminium - even the brass rod that I use for the fluid pickup was covered in white fur (like scale?).
I've found a cheap website selling them so ordered 4 so that should last about 6 years at 18 months lifespan each.
It does get a lot of engine bay heat - but most likely its just a cheap chinese crap water bottle. I have de-ionised water so can try that in it instead. Water is reasonably hard as we are thames valley but it does seem a bit odd that the brass tube is getting attacked as well. Maybe something in the screenwash?
Brass and aluminium really hate each other. The white powder on the brass is an aluminium salt, formed from the missing parts of the washer bottle and the chemicals in the screenwash.
All done now - just need the new bottle to arrive.
I did not know about the brass/ally mismatch, now suitably educated - thanks. I think the holes are where the brass rod had been resting on the ally bottle which would obviously be very corrosive from what you say.
Took the car to the Hot Rod Drags this weekend, towed the trailer tent up there with it and then thrashed it down the track a few times.
Did some good rolling burnouts (some distinctly sideways, lol!) and ran a lot of consistent 12.8's. Tried a different style of launch for a few runs and was rewarded with 13's & a 14 so went back to my original style.
Last run before deciding to not risk my luck with any damage netted a 12.75 at 105mph, so dead chuffed with that!!!
Then hitched the trailer up & drove it home again
Friends watching said I was carrying the front wheel for a good 40 to 60 feet which is cool
Will post photos as soon as I get sent some, one off a mates phone with the front in the air here, I was sleeping at the lights but won the race anyway
There is more in the car as the launch is sluggish and my 60ft times are not too good, hopefully once it's set up better 12.3's should be the target.