I've been hatching plans to make the old girl a little quicker.
I had to keep her on the road as one of the Mags has run an article on the rebuild and needed to take some photos, I didn't think they'd appreciate me pulling the engine out before they turned up, so I've been collecting parts and planning. Now that they've taken the photos I can progress!
I stripped the front cover off the old 3.9 that the CSK came with, along with the other parts I might need, and gave them a good cleaning.
Cleaned the sump/oil pickup and checked the sump for clearance. A few guides suggest knocking the center of the sump down by 5-10mm, mine didn't touch but to be safe I knocked it down a little anyway. This is now ready for painting.
I then turned to the 4.6 bottom end Started off looking like this;
And now looks like this;
The block is going to get a good clean, bores looked spot on and pistons/crank looked good too, when I picked up my worked over cylinder heads and other parts I got the guys to pressure test my block, which it duly failed. This meant I had to wait and have the block top-hat linered.
The heads I bought have been heavily worked over and make the ports on my inlet manifold look tiny, using some engineers blue I attempted to work out how to accurately port the inlet manifold so it matches the heads, I probably need to give the exhaust manifold the same treatment.
here are a few photos of parts;
In the pile of parts I collected it seems the big-ends had been sent wrong, no worries, Rob at V8D posted a new set out
I sprayed up the rocker-covers in a rather fetching bright red colour, sprayed the sump and the engine mounts satin-black and bolted the age-correct front cover the 1991 back on, looking forward to getting the air-con working!
The final build has ended up as;
4.6 X-bolted top hat Rover block Standard piston rings V8 Development MC1 Camshaft Cloyes "Street True Roller" timing chain set Stage 3 heads
I've also picked up all the hoses to swap back to the correct multi-v timing cover, a heavy duty clutch bearing and release arm, braided clutch hose and a new friction plate.
I've got next week booked off to slot this engine in a sort a few other things that have been annoying me, if the weather is good I'd like to get the leather re-dyed too.
After a long hard week of toil, oil, sweat and blood, the engine is IN.
The old engine slipped out fairly easily, not much to report there other than it still looked like the day I fitted it.
I replaced the clutch friction plate, despite it being in good condition, the clutch release bearing was replaced with a HD version. I bought a HD clutch release fork but it turned out mine was a cast item anyway, so that was returned.
I'll post a few photos and let them do some talking;
Old engine out, new engine waiting to "slip" in.
That's the engine "slipped" in and cam lubed.
I then set the lifter pre-load with shims, primed the oil pump and bolted in the manifold.
Then the "fun" of fitting the LPG and the petrol injectors, all the ancillaries and belts (it was around this point I wished I'd gone with serpentine).
I was pleasantly surprised that it started first time, so I bedded the cam in (thankfully no water leaks and the electric fan worked well) and then timed it slightly better before putting it away for the night.
The following morning (it's taken from Monday to Friday by now) I took it out for a test drive, followed by a longer test drive, being very conservative with the fast-pedal, keeping the revs below 2500.
A little tidying left to do and aircon to refit. It's a shame it still says "3.9" on the engine but it looks original I guess.
Initial feeling is that the engine has a load more torque, just need to get the engine run in before I can open her up and see how well she goes
It also seems much smoother and idles a lot better, slighlty quieter too, although I'm sure that's just me. It does sound sweet on tick-over.