Post by theturbomethod on Jun 10, 2006 8:59:05 GMT
I met, blownimp or is it (blow my imp up) he is good man and got sume good ideas and he sed have a look at this forum and he is right it is a lot of old f**ts and there old fords ;D it looks like a good forum ...... it's good to see more turbo/blow rear ends in town .....
A turbo for a brain and vw for a car. The balck art of turbos is simplicity!
Hi guys, sorry I didn’t update yesterday, been pretty busy with non car stuff (ive got to do it at some point!).
I have still managed to get a few bits done, the kingpins are now rebuilt, and ive prepared some templates for a strengthening member in front end.
This is the material that I shall be making the strengthening box from –
It is a Kevlar and nomex honeycomb sandwich board, jolly strong and light like all exotic materials should be!
This is the kingpin build, it went much more smoothly that I thought it would, ive heard some stories about them being a royal pain to do. I built up the first one and that came apart very easily and went back together in a similar fashion. Then I started on the second one, unfortunately this one was well stuck and I couldn’t budge it, so I put some WD40 on to soak over night.
I went out last night and my head was hurting this morning, a hangover cure was needed, and the best one? Building car stuff! The pin came out with the use of the biggest hammer in the workshop and a bit of brute force. Unfortunately building the kingpins whilst still slightly drunk ended up with it built upside down , as it was just built it came apart very easily and was quickly fixed.
The kingpin assembly –
Getting out the old pin –
I pressed out the old bushes using a pair of sockets, one the same size as the bush, the other slightly larger, and a vice –
All of the old components, and the nice new shiny bits –
I cleaned out the old grease from the nipples (toight, toight loike a toiger!)
Pressed in the new bushes –
Tapped in the new pin (I haven’t got a picture of the bottom slip washers) –
Copper slipped the retaining pin and popped that in –
And finally I put in the domed sealing washers, and popped the center to retain them –
I also got some more bits through the post as well, my new crank pulley arrived that will fit both the blower pulley and the trigger wheel.
And a new pair of callipers, Slater very kindly sent me a pair from his spares, but after thinking about it I decided to replace this safety critical part with new. Only £50 too!
That’s all for today, oh and ive got some bits on ebay if anyone fancies a peruse - 8073715061 and check out my other items
Its a good couple of hundred a sheet, we used it for the chassis of EB2 and EB5. EB2 had a glass and ally honeycomb chassis, EB5 was a sheet of Carbon Nomex honeycomb with an aluminium spaceframe on top. We had it all sponsered to us so it was free!
Right well today I have been to the metal suppliers, I got some ally sheet and some steel sheet, also some small diameter steel tube to get some fabrication done. Both the blower and the intercooler will be held on tubular mounts. I can start to fabricate the intercooler mount probably tomorrow, the blower mount however will be a little while, this is because it left my possession today, and is currently with my local machinist! He will be arranging the mounting of the crank blower pulley, and fitting of the trigger wheel. I would like to do it my self but I have no access to the machines , but that’s ok, I’ve placed some trust in them! I shall be dropping off some plate to them tomorrow so that I can get the flange for the blower machined aswell!
I also gained some parts through the post today, all my lovely stainless mandrel bends have arrived for the boost pipes, super duper indeed!
Here’s a piccy of some of the pipes and bits, should be really nice!
It will all be TIG welded and looks like it’ll dominate the engine bay!
Right I'm going to go and have a play in the garage, speak tomorrow