Just been reading a post that says the Mt75 is a shorter box than the type 9 - maybe that would be a better swop?
IIRC fords use the same bellhousing, so the same adaptor would work???
No.... MT75 nearly all have bellhousing cast in a unit with the casing. The T9 has a bolt on bellhousing and the adaptor plate is used to adapt the gearbox to the Triumph bellhousing. You can buy casings without bellhousings for the MT75 gearset but they're not cheap....
As mentioned before you can shorten the remote on a T9 fairly easily. You remove the tailshaft housing and carefully saw off the remote. You shorten the link tube as much as you dare (about 65-70mm is possible). The link rod is shortened by exactly the same amount and a new hole drilled for the roll-pin which must be in exactly the same plane as the original hole. Weld remote back on further forward and reassemble...
Edit: I used an ex-Supra W58 which fits quite nicely but is alot of work if you are too mean to pay for a bellhousing kit. Some more info here under special interest projects
Thanks..... one mans hero is another mans looney of course
You can get TR6 - W58 bellhousings from Dellow (Australia), Conversion Components (NZ) and Herman Van Den Akker in USA. None of them are very cheap (and they want to sell you the whole kit, much of which is not very useful for a Vitesse/GT6 owner) but they are cheaper than the UK TR specialists. There is also a man in NE England somewhere (Stuart of Classic Conversions if memory serves) who sells parts from one of the above suppliers. He wanted about £ 600 about 4 years ago which is alot less than the TR suppliers (£ 2.5 K I saw ) but still seems like alot for a bell housing and odd clutch bits. The W58 box is nice though and should stand up to anything a Triumph lump can throw at it.
If you can find whichever Toyota it is that has the W series gearbox and the starter / clutch on the right, I think you stand a good chance of making it fit with a modified engine backplate. I've not been able to find one though or even identify the vehicles that use them - I've seen pictures though.
1967 Triumph Vitesse convertible (long term pet) 1996 Audi A6 2.5 TDI Avant (still durability testing) 1972 GT6 Mk3 (full restoration project)
Usefull how to on the linkage shortening there - might just have to do that Clutch is now a hybrid of original cover plate and release arm gripping a Sierra 2ltr (same diameter, 215mm) friction plate. If all my measurements are correct ( which they probably aren't ) then the original slave should match up with the arm to operate correctly !
Gearlever is due for some straightening action in the vice to see where it ends up, but I rekon prob not to far from where I want it somewhere near my left thigh !
Maybe fibreglass front ends were not so rare 'back in the day' (i was lead to believe they were), but you try finding one now !!
Well, time to drag this up out of the bowels of hell.
Gearbox adaptor finished and fitted to the 'box itself. Notice the extra bracing welded to the bellhousing. Looked a bit weak to me;
Original release bearing and arm fitted. The bushing needed to be bored out by 0.025" to fit over the type 9 nose;
Finally the 'box fitted in the car. You may notice i have done the chop job mentioned above on the remote gearchange. ( Not the easiest but got there in the end )
And a pic of the hybrid propshaft i made up. Once this is all proven, i'll get a proper shaft made up;
Waiting now for a slave cylinder rebuild kit to arrive and i can try the clutch.
Rear brakes need attention (somethings catching) re-fit the interior, change the bonnet for the 'glass one, do some rather wild mods on the wheels/arches/altitude relationships, and then MOT time ! Yay Me !!
Excellent work! Be prepared to have it back out a few more times yet though. When i did the gearbox conversion on my Viva it was a case of 3rd time lucky. Is your selector shaft hole blind? The link in my sig covers all the trouble i had from page 3 or 4.
It's already been in and out a few times to make sure everything fits where it should, so next time it comes out should be for an engine swap. Re; the selector shaft, yh, i bored a hole in the bellhousing and then pressed in a blind tube to seal it off.
Due to the cr@p weather and dark evenings, i'm trying to crack on with stuff in the workshop instead.
Soooooo, Clutch slave cylinder honed, resealed and rebuilt ready to fit to bellhousing. Also turned my attention to the new engine and as i'm aiming for around 150bhp, i thought i'd better do something with the cylinder head. So i did this;
Not opened up massively, but a lot of smoothing and blending, particularly around the valve seats and guides. Should release a few more ponies. I haven't got any 'before' pics but the combustion chambers are a lot smoother and the plug holes are opened up a little.
Some months ago i snagged a tubular manifold off of ebay,
but it was missing the final 2 into 1 collector. Not knowing who's manifold it is, and being a tight b@stard anyway, there was only one thing for me to do. - Make one !!
A few pieces of 16swg sheet steel, a piece of bar in the vice and plastic hammer and a little tin bashing later i had these;
Then over to the welding bench and half an hour later this appeared before me ;