Vega made the conversions - the clue on the motor plate they snap at the front kick-up.
Guess who re-created his late 80's Schumacher Cat XLS with TopCat rear wishbones, knowing it would sell for decent money (as all the ones I bought for spares did) . . . and then they re-released the XLS . . .
Still, amused me to be relatively competitive at local club with it and various Associated B4s.
Modern electrics are amazing - run for ages, run cool, can be tuned easily - no more metled sodlered connections, plugs, scorched bodies, hacking holes in shells trying to get air in, no more spraying trike in the motor after every race and shoving cotton buds nicked from home down the brush slots to clean the commutator . .
Still get the odd exploding battery pack though - Lipos don't like being over-discharged, over charged, being banged about . . .
Looks good. Pics? Actually if any of you guys have pics of your old radio controlled car please do feel free to share them.
I'll hunt some out! Off the top of my head, I've owned:
Re-Re Rough Rider Scale Racing Buggy Grass Hopper 2 Super G Manta Ray Big Wig Lunchbox Thunder Dragon Fire Dragon Rover Mini Cooper 6 Wheel Tyrell Clod Buster F-350 Three Speed Twin Detonator Pajero CC01 Monster Beetle Fox Falcon
These days I just have my F350, Thunder Dragon, Lunchbox and Clod Buster.
Seeing what you're up to with this has inspired me to go and visit my parents next weekend and try to find my old Hornet,which is hopefully still buried in their loft. I'm sure my two daughters will have as much fun with it as I did. Cheers.👍
Nice to see you restoring the original parts. I have about 100 tamiyas Inc new in box and restored models. I have about 5 grasshoppers in various states. If you need any spares let me know. I have lots of period correct radio gear as well. I used to have a lot of Marui spares as I've had a few Hunters but sold them all a few years back.. I even built a full size replica brat!!! Will keep a watch on what you do with it..
Having a root around in a box of toys at the tip today I found this guy screwed to the roof section from some sort of black buggy I guess.
I brought him home. Not sure if he's a Tamiya driver or not, but once I'd unscrewed him from the broken piece of roof I tried him in the Grasshopper body and he seems to fit OK. So he's going in. Not sure that I want the Tinman driving my Grasshopper though, so he's getting a bit of a makeover...
I've filled the seams where the two halves are glued together, and I've also filled the screwhole in the back of his helmet. Just got to repaint him now.
Ive got afew of these, this type and the type on the big flat piece of plastic. I seem to remember open face and closed helmets, we used them when I was doing RC bangers, at one point they seemed to be everywhere.